Thursday, July 20, 2006

Mmmm... Silence!... Or the joys of replacement ADSL modems!

I didn't mention this, my last post here. But I have been having some trouble with my ADSL modem. An old Thomson thing. It started whistling to me a couple of weeks ago, for no reason whatsoever, or so I thought.

I spoke to the lady in charge of sending out replacement modems at work, on Monday, and she told me that she was sending out more replacements, than new subscriber-modems, lately. Turns out, the old modems have a weakness that will show up after a couple of years. 'It's not really whistling', she said. 'You're actually hearing the electrical current going through it!' Oh, okay... Am I supposed to hear this? 'Nope! Come over to my desk later and I'll get you a new one!'

She then told me a funny story of one error message she'd received from ADSL customer service (she doesn't talk to the customers, she's only sending out the modems). A man had called in and told the guy at customer service that his modem was whistling, a very high pitch whistling that he could barely hear. Seeing as he could barely hear it, it was no big deal for him... But his dog was going apeshit!

That's the pitch of the sound, almost un-hearable (if that's a word) to the human ear... But boy, can the dogs ever hear it?

We have a rule when logging error messages both at Mobile/Cell and at ADSL. We take down what the customers say, word for word! You should see how some of those error messages look, or maybe not. *Sheesh* Some of the guys even take down the swearing, word for word. Others, like me just adds a little < Insert string of profanities here > thingie. Error messages usually makes for some funny reading too, especially when it's the customer who's not really understanding the most basic elements of their cell-phones or computers/modems/routers. It's entertainment, is what it is. That's why we have the (un-official) rule to take everything down, word for word!

So now, my new ADSL modem being in place (I had it replaced early Tuesday morning), and it's blissfully silent in the hallway, again. So much so, that when I came home from work on Tuesday, my mother was waiting for me. She had a pretty worried look on her face, and went; 'The whistling noise stopped! Is something wrong? I didn't touch anything, I swear!' Naw mom, I replaced the modem before I went to work, didn't you notice the size difference? 'Nope, I never paid much attention to what was there in the first place!' Oh well. I'm pleased, and she's happy it's quiet again.

2 Comments:

Blogger Raina Nathair said...

Ah, the joys of customer service. I can recall many a 'colorful' comment from customers (and several more from the techs dealing with them).

Good that it got replaced so promptly. Fire hazard.

Oh, and Witchy? We're expecting rain and thunderstorms on and off all weekend and for the temperature to drop about 20 degrees F in the next three days.

::running for cover::

8:39 PM  
Blogger NorthWitch said...

Gaaahhh!!!

Oh well, TV said we'd get our thunder tomorrow... I'll believe it when I see and hear it, no sooner!

It's still hot and humid here.

I was across the border (into Sweden) with my friend earlier today, everytime someone came too close to me, it was like a heat-explosion going off inside me. And yes, there was AC... No help, really...

9:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home