Friday, August 18, 2006

Finally!

Sarpsborg town finally had their meeting. I get the 90% financing I applied for. Good thing too, I signed the papers for the apartment today!

I go back to the nice lady that helped me Wednesday, to sign papers there as well. They'll need a copy of the signed contract and I have to sign on the mortgage they're giving me, so all is cool. Finally, a huge load of worry have left me and I can concentrate on the rest, like measurements and the like.

September 1, I take over the keys and start moving in. This will be so much fun, now that all the worries are over.

Kiri was a little upset with me yesterday, as you can tell from the comments she made to yesterdays post. I hadn't written anything about the behemoth I met while visiting my kitten, so here goes!

When we arrived, the welcome wagon outside the house included a large, adult castrate. He was huge and very friendly, not the behemoth to be known as Biggest Red, though, we met him inside. This fellow was an exile from the house. As far as he was concerned, the kittens were dangerous, they had to be, every time he had tried to make friends, mommy and daddy had beaten the holy hell out of him. So, as a result, he stayed outside - refusing to come in.

Once inside, we were accosted by a huge red furball. I swear, he was the biggest thing I'd ever seen, even though our outside welcome wagon had been bigger. Biggest Red Behemoth just seemed bigger as we were down on the floor, to be within easier reach of the tiny kittens.

Biggest Red was losing his baby teeth and getting the bigger ones in. So he was nibbling at any part of us he could reach, but not violently in any way. He immediately decided that he wanted my lap for his very own, and plopped himself down across my thighs accordingly. Talk about getting your circulation cut off, it was an immediate response. He refused to move until the breeder forcibly hauled him up and downstairs, locking him away. She informed us that he was perhaps a little jealous of the kittens, as he was only ten months old himself. Silicone Valley and I were shocked to total silence, for a whole of a minute. Only 10 months, and bigger than a brick outhouse? Yow! The breeder calmed me down a little, saying that Elva's not getting that big. She pointed over to her mom and said she'd be more that size. Looking over at mom, I had another slight shock. I have always known that Norwegian Forest Cats gets a little bigger than ordinary house cats, but Elva's mom was bigger than the average Tomcat! Cool, I like big cats, and when they're as calm and friendly as these cats, not a problem.

Now, Biggest Red were not allowed to play with the kittens either. Mom and dad were very careful to keep him at bay. He wanted to play with them, same as Welcome Wagon, but as the breeder said, seeing him rolling around on the floor with the tiny babies was brutal. Add to the fact that the babies were literally screaming for help! Needless to say, Biggest Red was another one that would get the holy hell beat out of him quite regularly, though, it seems, he's starting to learn his lesson now... But as a result, he feels he's in competition for attention with them, so he constantly steals the show! And as friendly and beautiful as he is, he's quite successful!

As big as Elva's gonna get, there is no way I'm letting her get used to being in my bed, she'll have her own, as I have no intention og being smothered in my sleep!

10 Comments:

Blogger Raina Nathair said...

I wasn't upset, I just thought it was a wonderful story and told the tale of these lovely big cats well. That and it's funny to see how we let them rule our lives in some ways.

I'm getting ready to run out the door, late for work...
::SCREECH::
"Gotta feed the cat."
::car horn beeps outside::
"Geez, gimme a minute."
::feeds the cat who spends a few seconds trying to headbutt the can outta my hands::
"Okay, bye."
::grab bag and run for door::
"ME-owwww!"
::stop, come back, pet cat for a few seconds, curse at the car horn which sounds again, talk to cat for a few more seconds until she buries her face in her food, run for door::

5:32 PM  
Blogger NorthWitch said...

Norwegian Forest Cats are almost dog-like in their behavior.

Not very talkative, either.

The breeder told me about her friend whom is fostering that last litter. She has taken over over an adult female, she waits for her at door when she comes home from work, then follows her around for a while, until she's satisfied she's home to stay, for now.

When a Forest cat wants to cuddle, he/she will give you no choice, they'll sit on you, if they have to.

Which reminds me, seeing Elva after mommy had cleaned her. The fur in all directions, wet. Breeder told us how the kittens refuse to stay still for a washing these days, so mommy has found a solution... She'll sit on them!

5:42 PM  
Blogger Raina Nathair said...

::laughing:: That's one way to make your kids hold still.

"Come here!"
::kids run away screaming about child abuse::

5:45 PM  
Blogger Raina Nathair said...

It's tough-love, darn it all!

5:46 PM  
Blogger NorthWitch said...

Yup, Karna sure knows how to handle her kids when they don't wanna have their faces washed... Or the rest of themselves, for that matter.

We were downstairs in the catroom. The breeder has one room dedicated to the cats. They get to the catyard from a window in that room. We were on the floor, talking and cuddling the cats, big and small, Elva had vanished back upstairs for some reason. When she returned, she skidded into the room with her fur wet and sticking up at odd places. That's when the breeder told us how mommy managed to keep her babies clean now that they've discovered 'playing'!

5:50 PM  
Blogger Raina Nathair said...

Yep - easy to bathe them when they aren't big enough to run away. Now that they are mobile and fast... you've gotta come up with new tactics. Sitting on them seems to be Karna's choice, Rodie (my former roommate's cat) chose to trap them in a corner where they couldn't escape and groom them. Oh, and while they were eating... they had ZERO interest in escaping at that moment. Smart things.

5:55 PM  
Blogger NorthWitch said...

Yep, cat's are smart people, it's what I've always said.

On top of it all, Momma Karna has so much milk, she's happily feeding both litters. She wanders around the house, crawling with kittens while calling for the rest of them. She'll feed her own four and the other mom's five, not a problem! Those other five are older than her own kitten's though, that's the litter that Elva loves fighting with!

It was quite a sight to see, Karna, on her back, buried by nine kittens, all clamoring for their favored teet!

6:00 PM  
Blogger Raina Nathair said...

Dang, SO glad I'm not a cat at times like that. That can't be fun for her. Nine squirming critters all climbing on her trying to get to their favorite spot... some of them close to as big as she is... ::snorts::


Yep, glad I'm not a cat.

6:04 PM  
Blogger NorthWitch said...

Nah, the babies in the other litter aren't anywhere close to her size! They're half a time as big as Elva's litter. Not quite twice their sizes, but kinda close.

Karna looked like she loved it! Being that full of milk is not comfortable for humans or animals! She was happy to have her load lightened some!

6:06 PM  
Blogger Raina Nathair said...

Well, good for her.

Me? I'm off for lunch.

6:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home